- 3 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 4 teaspoons instant/quick-rise yeast
- 2 1/2 cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted and cooled) OR vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together first three ingredients. Add water and mix for one minute, scraping down bowl halfway through if necessary. Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, honey, and lemon juice; beat for 1 minute. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, beating between each cup. Knead dough in mixer using dough hook for 10 to 15 minutes or until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and feels smooth rather than sticky.
- Preheat oven to lukewarm by setting it to 350°F and then turning it back off after exactly 1 minute. Grease two nonstick bread pans (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ or 9? x 5? x 2 1/2″) or grease two regular bread pans and line with parchment paper. Turn dough onto greased surface. Evenly divide into two loaves and place into prepared bread pans, gently pressing dough into corners.
- Place pans in warm oven and allow to rise for 20 to 40 minutes, or until dough is nicely domed above the tops of the pans. Without removing pans from the oven, turn on oven to 350°F and set timer for 30 minutes. Once baked, immediately remove hot bread from pans and cool on rack.
orignal source: five heart home
You can also have so much fun with this recipe. I like to roll half of it out before it goes in the oven for rising, put a little butter on it, some raisins, cinnamon, maybe pecans or walnuts, and either a little sugar or sweetner and then roll up. Once I roll it I cut it in half, put it on a cookie sheet and finish the rest of the recipe. You can do so many variations like this for a healthier dessert bread. Have fun with it and if you do something with it post it and let me see what you have done.